Who We Are
We began this initiative with priests, mothers, and experts working hand in hand to create a place for online religious education. We built this for parishes and people of all ages so that our entire community could prosper. Our goal is to provide a superior digital learning experience that fits into your life better than traditional formats and classes. When life gets busy, we want nothing to come between people achieving a complete Catholic education.
Our organization was founded by Fr. James Zatalava, a humble parish priest from Pennsylvania, to provide online religious education for his area in 2004. Based on the success of those programs, Father Zatalava created our website to reach any Catholics around the world. In 2006, Fr. Zatalava appeared on EWTN and since then our organization has continued to serve more and more people. We presently serve thousands of students each year in over 25 nations and are committed to our ministry of providing the best in online Roman Catholic religious education to all at an affordable price.
Our organization produces online classes for Catholics that includes various catechism passages, ecclesial documents, and encyclicals from the time of Pope Leo XIII to the present with the express, written permission of the Vatican.
- Dr. Scott Hahn (Internationally Known Catholic Author): "You are really providing a valuable service... I sure hope this gets to be more widely known -- and used!"
- Karl Keating (Founder of Catholic Answers): "The entire program is given over the computer at the student's own pace. I've taken a look at the site, and it certainly looks to be a step up (a very big step up) from the CCD classes I took."
- Fr. Carl Pieber (Executive Director Central Association of the Miraculous Medal): "Again, I must say that this is a monumental work that is very good. I strongly recommend it to everyone."
- Donna Stiechen (Catholic Author): "Its' materials are tailored for every age, from docile first graders to senior citizens seeking remedial instruction. And each pupil can work at his own pace as he falls in love with the ageless truth. Praise the Lord, CatechismClass.com is the real thing!"
- Bishop Robert Vasa, Diocese of Santa Rosa. Advisor for CatechismClass.com
- Archbishop Chaput, Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Cardinal Dolan, Archdiocese of New York
- Archbishop Hughes, Archdiocese of New Orleans
- Cardinal Burke, Cardinal Patron of the Knights of Malta
- Bishop Baker, Bishop of the Diocese of Birmingham
- Father James Zatalava. Founder and Editor of CatechismClass.com. Fr. Zatalava has been called "Father Catechism" informally because of his work with catechesis including his appearances on EWTN and writings in support of the need to teach the Faith to Catholics. Father is the author of most of our programs including our best selling godparent preparation class.
- Matthew Plese. Matthew is a Dominican Tertiary, and his education includes two years of seminary study in Catholic Doctrine, an undergraduate Philosophy Degree, an MBA from DePaul University, and a Certificate in Catechesis from Catholic Distance University. Matthew is a national Catholic speaker and a published author.
- Shannon Jones. Shannon is a homeschooling mother of 7 who learned first-hand what works – and what does not work – for children’s learning.
- Melissa Maleski. Melissa was the Director of Religious Education for St. John the Baptist in Greater Philadelphia. She has worked as a catechist since September 2009 and has a master’s degree in Systematic Theology from Christendom College.
- Preston E. Wiggins, Jr. Pete holds a Master of Arts in Theology and Christian Ministry with an adjunct Certificate in Catechesis from Franciscan University of Steubenville and has over twenty years of experience as a parish Director of Religious Education.
- Maria Vitale Gallagher. Maria is the Legislative director for the Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation and author of our organization’s NFP classes.
- Matt Robinson. Matt is a graduate from the college division of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary who holds a M.A. in Dogmatic Theology from Holy Apostles College & Seminary. He is the Director of Pastoral Services at St. Agnes Parish, West Chester, PA.